Oil (about 1 and a half tsp)
Cumin Seeds (Jeera - 1 tsp)
One mediun size onion - chopped
One tomato - Chopped
One green chilly - slit
Turmeric powder (1/4 tsp)
chilly powder (1/2) tsp
1. Soak any dal (toor dal / moong dal / gram dal) (in tamil...thuvaram paruppu / payaththam paruppu / kadalai paruppu) for 15 mts. For two people, 3/4 th cup of dal should be sufficient.
3.Add cumin seeds.
When they change color, add onions and green chillies and Bring the heat to "sim".
5. Fry for a minute and add tomatoes
6. Wait for 2 minutes till tomatoes are cooked and add dal. Cook in cooker for 2 whistles.
7. Finally, add chopped coriander and serve hot with rotis.
A standard gravy for north Indian side dishes which can be made very easily
(Roughly for two people)
oil ( 2 tsp)
Onion - medium size 1 (made into paste)
Tomato - medium size 1 (made into paste)
turmeric powder(1/4 tsp)
chilly powder(1/2 tsp)
coriander powder (1 tsp)
Jeera powder ( 1/2 tsp)
- Heat Oil
- Add cumin Seeds
- When they change color, add onion paste.
- Fry for 2 minutes
- Add turmeric powder , chilly powder, coriander powder and jeera powder
- Fry for 1 minute
- Add tomato paste and salt
- Wait for 2 - 3 minutes. (time till the RAW smell of tomatoes goes off)
To this, we can add Potatoes and peas and call it aaloo mutter
add beans, carrot, potatoes, capsicum and call it mixed vegetable
Add potatoes and baby corn
And so on....
*You can either add these cut vegetables raw and put in cooker for 2 whistles or cook the vegetables separately (microwave / cooker) and then add to this gravy and bring to a boil.
**To bring some change in taste, you can always keep a stock of garam masala / sabji masala / kitchen king (from the brand EVEREST). Adding just 1/4 spoon of any of these masala s to the side dish as the last step while cooking will give different taste. Can use this for a change.
Finally, garnish with chopped coriander.
Hope this helps me friends who are learning to cook / trying to cook!
Happy cooking! :)